Jun 22, 2010
Digital package printing is poised for big growth as advances in digital printing technology can now feed heightened demand for shorter runs of packages and labels from consumer goods manufacturers. At the same time, while many printing markets are losing share to the Internet, packaging is a market that can’t be digitized. Package printers, converters, and commercial printers can all benefit by expanding into this market.
According to our 2010 Market Assessment: Color Digital Printing in Packaging and Label Converting, InfoTrends projects that digital package printing will grow 15.7% annually, rising from $1.8 billion in 2009 to over $3.7 billion in 2014. Packaging represents the single biggest analog-to-digital print opportunity in the graphic communications market.
Key growth contributors include:Â
- Increases in private labeling and resulting shorter runs
- Package testing
- Customizing for target markets or event marketing
- Making the package interactive
- Streamlined solutions for secure variable data label printing
- Improvements in supply chain management
- An emphasis on sustainability
- Expanded media options
- Available technology (e.g., the presses and beyond)